C'mon Iggy, I'm Rooting For You.

     Iggy Azalea has not had the best of times over the past few months compared to her smash success with "Fancy" last summer. Iggy has had some tough times between the success of her recent songs, to her tour, and even on her social media accounts. Iggy has done some things to help promote these things but also has feel flat on some parts. Let's take a look at where she's going wrong.



Songs aren't Sticking

     Iggy Azalea has had trouble getting songs to chart well and stick around ever since "Black Widow". Iggy's latest single off of her album "Trouble" peaked at 67 on the Billboard Hot 100. Iggy did, however promote this song super well, despite its struggle on the charts. She performed this song with Jennifer Hudson on the IHeart Music Awards, Kids Choice Awards, The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon, Saturday Night Live, and American Idol. The number of live performances this single got was crazy. However, the song wasn't quite sticking on the radio and the charts. "Beg For It" was her single before "Trouble" and that did peak higher on the Billboard Hot 100 at 27. This single was having a similar vibe to "Fancy", but it severely lacked promotion. The song was only performed on Saturday Night Live, and the Peoples Choice Awards. Also, the single had a lyric video, but a music video just never happened. I'm still wondering what happened to it. These songs weren't doing the best on the charts and then there was hope with the announced collab with Britney Spears. "Pretty Girls" was one of the most anticipated collborations I have seen in awhile. The song dropped and only peaked at number 29 on the Billboard Hot 100, and currently sits at number 52 on ITunes. The song rose really well on ITunes, but didn't stay within the top 10 very long. I was hoping, along with everyone else, that the song was going to be the song of the summer, but by the looks of it; it won't be. I, however, will still jam to it this summer. Overall, Iggy just hasn't been able to come up with the song that will have the chart success and an equal amount of promotion for it.

Tour Troubles

     Iggy Azalea was originally planned on embarking on "The Great Escape Tour" this year that was suppose to start in April, 2015. In March, 2015 Iggy and her management decided to postpone the tour til the fall of 2015. The reschedule was done because of production delays and Iggy assured us that "good things take time". The postponed tour meant that the opening acts , Nick Jonas and Tinashe, wouldn't be able to join her on the fall tour. This left Iggy in search of new openers and left fans wondering what really was going on. The tour then saw its end when it was announced on May 29th, 2015, that the whole tour will be cancelled. Iggy stated to Seventeen magazine that the tour was cancelled because she "had a different creative change of heart". Iggy was eager to work on new material and the tour meant that she wouldn't be able to focus on that unitl after Christmas when the tour would have been over. Iggy also said that she was in need of a break since she has been working nonstop for the past 2 years. Iggy also couldn't find anyone to open the tour and finally just realized that there were so many things pointing in the direction of not doing the tour, that she just decided to cancel it.

What Went Wrong?

     I originally had bought tickets to the original April show in MN, and it was later postponed to October 1st. I kept my tickets because they said that they could be used to the reschduled show. I was bummed at first but was thankful that it was reschelued. When I got the email stating that the tour was cancelled, I was even more bummed, but I had a feeling that it was coming. I knew that something was up when the original dates were rescheduled, because I just didn't believe the whole "production delays" as an excuse. I totally understand the rescheule though because it does happen to a lot of artists. I also felt that the new tour dates were reschelued a long time from the orginal dates. There was a five month time gap between the original show and the new date. I also feel like the tour lost its hope when the openers left as well and couldn't make it to the new dates. I was , however, hoping that Iggy would be able to find some new acts; possibly Charli XCX or someone else. The tour itself also wasn't promoted at all. I found out about the presale for tickets on accident the day before they went on sale. I am an avid music lover as well, and was really surprised that I hadn't heard about the tour until the day before tickets went on sale. I just have a feeling that nobody knew it was happening, and then everyone knew it was cancelled. If the orginal dates with Nick and Tinahse would have been promoted better, the tour would have done well. I just felt like Iggy then had a harder time selling those tickets to fill the arenas she was in without the help of Nick and Tinashe. I was hoping to see Iggy on tour, but I understand that artists go through these situations too. I can't wait to hear here new music and Iggy did say that she will tour for the second studio album. Fingers crossed, that her success continues because I really do enjoy her music and wish her nothing but success. I know that she has a lot of haters, but I'm not one of them and will continue to support artists regardless of what happens. This promo is about all we'll get to see of "The Great Escape Tour".

Social Media Struggles

     Iggy has had some struggles with her social media accounts and what she has said on them. Iggy has been deemed "racist" due to some of the things she has said. I would link this to some of those tweets but I can't tell which ones are fake or true; so I'm not going to assume anything. Also, Iggy did rant about Papa Johns and how one the delivery drivers used her number to constantly call her. Maybe Twitter wasnt the best way to handle that situation, but its done now. Iggy has handed over the reigns of her social media accounts to her managemnet to help clean up and maintain her image without tarnishing anything. Iggy also stated that she just needed a break from social media, I mean don't we all. Iggy's accounts have been consistent with their content since the handoff and haven't seen any slurs. Iggy does chime in every once in a while to state things or to answer questions too. I do wish that her accounts had more personality with Iggy's voice, but I understand the handoff to management. Hopefully Iggy will start to take more control over them once everything tones down. Finally, I just think that Iggy didn't know how big of an audience she had on social media when she was saying and tweeting the things she did, but she does now.

Happy Notes

     Iggy has had some happy notes over the past few months as well. Despite the lack of chart success with "Pretty Girls", Iggy had one of the funnest times recording the video and performing it on the Billboard Music Awards. I loved seeing the chemistry between her and Britney Spears because they look like they have so much fun together!
     Also, if you are still bummed that you couldn't get to see Nick Jonas or Tinashe on tour with Iggy, they are going on tour this summer! Nick Jonas will be touring with Bebe Rexha and Tinashe will be tagging along with Nicki Minaj! Click their photos below to see their tour dates and where they will be.

 


      Iggy also just got engaged to Nick Young on June 2nd, 2015 when she announced via Instagram that she said yes! Iggy and Nick have been together since late 2013, and I couldn't be more happy for them two. I know that Iggy has had her ups and downs this year, but I truly wish her the best and if this engagement is any indication of how this year is going to go; it will be a good one for the two.
A photo posted by Iggy Azalea (@thenewclassic) on

Comments

Popular Posts